Saturday, June 17, 2017

Two Moose for Saturday Critters

On Thursday of this week we made our weekly trip through a wooded , forested section  of a  familiar highway to go grocery shopping in a nearby town. I always have my camera with me ready if by chance we see a bird of hawk worthy of photographing.  This week my husband surprised me when he said, "Did you see that moose ?" I responded," huh? " What moose? Where?" He responded, "Back there in the ditch, you can see it in the mirror"  And sure enough I could see a moose by  looking out the rear window of our truck as I struggled with my seat belt

 trying to line up a picture of the huge animal feeding in the ditch that my husband had seen as we drove past it! The animal looked huge and I waited until It had raised its head to get a better picture.
Yes, sure enough , it was a moose, thankfully we did not encounter it on the highway!.  My husband started backing up the truck so we could get a closer look, when I suddenly saw a second moose emerge from the woods directly opposite from the moose in the ditch. 


This second moose was tall, big and black. We stopped  backing up and watched.
We stayed put ,parked on the shoulder of the highway and watched and I took pictures of the two moose ,both now in the ditch.
The smaller moose did not appear to be a baby of this year due to its size and indepentdent feeding initially... Was it a yearling? and was the larger moose its mother, still being attentive to its last year baby?  Whatever the case, the larger adult did not stay with the
smaller moose for long but it walked across the highway back to where it had came from.

During all of this time there hadn't been any passing or oncoming traffic to worry about , but just as we were leaving we saw an approaching car.  We slowed as it approached and waved and made all sorts of pointing gestures to indicate a warning that something was on the road ... and somehow the approaching car perceived our warnings as it slowed down and pulled over  and stopped before passing the moose, thus averting a possible collision with a moose.  All's well that ended well and I was happy with my moose photo opportunity.
I am linking toward to viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.ca

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wow, moose sighting is awesome. Wonderful photos too. Great critter post.


Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy day and weekend!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good photos!
They must have been a real treat to see.

Gordon said...

That is just amazing, what an incredible sighting, good photos too.
Take care, Gordon.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Good eyes on your husband, to spot the moose. And what luck to have the second one appear. Wonderful photos.