Wednesday, March 23, 2016

First Robins of Spring

Last evening my husband called to me. "There is a Robin looking in the window at me.  He didn't have to say , "Get your camera", for in a second I was grabbing for it!  Seeing that first Robin is a special spring moment  for me which asserts the fact that winter is over, although we received about 15 centimetres of snow the day before.  But I can fasten my eyes on that beautiful red breast and forget about all that white stuff hanging around on the ground outdoors.  The beautiful Robin he saw was perched in a Manitoba Maple tree in Bird Alley.  My camera and I were lucky as I snapped its picture.

 I got its picture just before it flew off  to perch in our Choke Cherry Tree.
 
I always associate a robin with new beginnings and a renewal of life, within a new season such as spring.  Several years ago I returned home  in mid -April after a two month stay in a hospital while recovering from a mild stroke. On my first trip outdoors on my own I saw a robin on our lawn and it struck me,  "I could have missed all of this beauty and renewal  of spring and life but thankfully I had had good care and physiotherapy and I was back on my feet again able to explore and enjoy all of nature's beauty. Seeing that Robin that day reminded me of all of my blessings. And today I truly love and appreciate that first Robin sighting every spring as to me it is a celebration and continuing of life!
 
This morning started with flurries in the air but I went out searching anyway with my camera and I found two more Robins. The robins were feasting on a Sumac.
above, a robin on a sumac branch

looking up to find berries
see the red berries above the robins wide open mouth, yum, yum

2 comments:

Anne said...

We have the occasional robin with us but the big surprise, this spring, was the appearance of a woodpecker. In 18 years of living in this house, we have never seen a woodpecker until this spring. It was pretty exciting.

Lowcarb team member said...

I've always loved robins too ...

All the best Jan