Friday, November 09, 2012

Daily Yard Bird List




  I used to faithfully record each day the different species that visited Bird Alley
daily, but in recent years other activities got in the way of that practice.  I have started again this week of keeping a daily yard bird list and it is fun and rewarding. It is a time consuming activity added to my personal quest to take pictures of every visiting species I have a full morning each day. Each return of a species visiting the day previous is a small delightful  milestone.  any new species turning up is a small triumph!  Yesterday I was delighted to spy two sparrow species in Bird Alley .
A cold looking White-throated sparrow (  its yellow lores and white-throat are identifying features of this sparrow) surprised me and although I have been waiting and hoping for an  
American Tree Sparrow  see above:( the central dark breast spot is an identifying feature of this sparrow) to show up, I saw one in Bird Alley yesterday! These two little sparrow sightings made my day!;  and I was able to get their pictures too.  Yesterday ( Thursday, November 8th I recorded 13 different species sighted as I had the day previously. On Wednesday I had two woodpecker species included on my list, A male Downy Woodpecker and also two Hairy Woodpeckers, but on Wednesday I didn't have any sparrow sightings. Thursday there were no woodpecker sightings Here is my yardbird list for yesterday: November 8th. the  ground was  snow covered, with light  rain throughout the day, early morning temperature, hovering around  0 degrees C.
1.Blue Jays
2. American Goldfinch
3.. Slate-coloured Juncos

 
4.Pine Siskins  above ( several of these sweet little birds)
5.Cardinals ( 2 females and one male)
6.Pine Grosbeak ( only one)
7.White-breasted Nuthatch
8. Black-capped Chickadees
9.White-throated Sparrow  ( just one)
10. American Tree Sparrow ( just one)
11.Red-breasted Nuthatch
12. Evening Grosbeaks
13. Mourning Dove ( just one, the first one seen this week

Also two Squirrel species( Red and Gray) were in Bird Alley yesterday.
I am eager to see what shows up today.  I am eagerly awaiting the first sighting of a Redpoll in bird Alley.  Also Red-bellied Woodpeckers have been sighted in the province.  Maybe one will visit in Bird Alley soon.  I hope so as they are such beautiful birds.


***** Today7:15 a.m.  Friday , November 9th I just checked Bird Alley and the little White-throaed Sparrow, from yesterday is there, on the ground foraging for food.!  It will be easier for it today as yestetrday's ground covering of snow has gone, no snow left.  The temperature this morning is at 0 degrees C.  brrrrr.. I don't like the cold!
Yard Bird List for Friday, November 09, 2012
1 White throated Sparrow
2.Pine Siskins
3.Slate-coloured Juncos
4.Blue Jays
5.Crow
6.Black-capped Chickadees
8. American Goldfinched

 
Have a good day everyone!

No comments: