Thursday, February 09, 2012

Red Geranium Blossoms And Memories For Thursday's challange

Actually a better and more apt title for this post would be" My Winter Regret! "Each year in the late summer or early fall , in the past we have brought our geranium plants inside from our outdoor flower beds. This year we did not and how we regret that. This winter we have not been able to enjoy the glorious reds of their wintering blossoms. We shall not make that mistake again! this post is a re post from 2010, and when I learned that the theme for Today's Thursday Challenge was red I thought of geraniums and searched for a post with red geranium pictures in it and this is what I have found, thus the re post today.

Thursday Challenge is a meme which offers a different theme each week. This week's theme is red. To join in on the fun you can find this meme at:http://www.spunwithtears.com/thursday.html


Bringing summer inside is always part of my plan when digging up the geranium plants from our summer flower bed. I rescued two of them but left a third in our garden, for no particular reason. When our rains have stopped and it starts to dry a bit I will check to see if the third one is still surviving in our flower bed. They are quite hardy plants and so I will not be surprised at how it is faring, although we have had some pretty heavy frosts last month. I transplanted this geranium in an old bean crock, although I would have preferred a large size stewed tomatoes can with the wrapper still on it. Maybe if the remaining plant is still surviving in the garden I will pot it in a tomato can. Why a tomato can? Early memories of my grandmother include seeing geraniums potted in tomato cans sitting on her kitchen window sill.The heat from her kitchen wood stove accompanied the setting for comfort on those long ago winter days when I would spend much time visiting with her in her home. The geraniums would become very tall and gangly at her windows, their beauty accented by the summer greens of Gram's wall paper of intertwining ivy wallpaper. I think that wallpaper pattern was always on Gram's kitchen wall. When the paper needed replacing, Gram always seemed to choose that same pattern over and over again.
Placing my potted geraniums at my window brings about constant memories of my Gram. (Myrtle Alice Nason)

3 comments:

DeVona said...

Lovely post! Thank you!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love red Geraniums. They say home and welcome to me.

Mary said...

So pretty....thanks for reposting it.