Friday, December 23, 2011

a layering of snow today

We have had very little snow this year so far, but this morning there is a thin layering lying on the ground outside my window and it is still coming down. This snow this morning caused me to recall o a blog post I had made in 2009 remembering previous winters and perhaps prompted by the memories of those Christmas when a new sled was under the Christmas tree which was always a cause for joy. We lived on a farm which had a few great sliding hills. They would have been better for tobogganing, but we we seldom had a toboggan, it was often a sled instead;

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Snow today, still on the ground

Our snow covered ground this morning has prompted this winter memory for me:

piecing together
computerized visual art
fragments from my mind


Remembering the brief rapture of stolen moments
between after school chores and suppertime

cold wind on my face
exhilaration of speed
sliding memories

rushing headlong, down the snowy hill
climbing up again, only to fly downward once more
each time the upward climb becoming slower and s l o w e r

then the call to supper

with red rosy cheeks and chaffed wrists
from snow clotted mittens
we would rush indoors to the parlor wood stove
remove our felts from snow clogged boots
and hang our woolen snow pants nearby to dry
in readiness for another winter's day

Have a great day everyone and a wish for a safe joyous Christmas to all.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I remember that post! I'm just not ready for snow. We are getting rain, which is rather dreary. Merry Christmas!