Saturday, January 29, 2011

Magpies from Guest Photographer in Airdrie , Alberta

Frequently this past fall and winter I have been receiving pictures of Magpies in my brother Roger's backyard in Airdrie, Alberta. They are a beautiful bird ,having a very striking appearance with their black and white contrasting plumage and long tails. Roger has been trying for good closeups of these birds over the past months., but they have proved to be rather elusive as subjects in their chosen yard. I think Roger's photo of the two magpies in the photo below is rather magnificent!
Below are Roger's observations of the visiting magpies:
"The magpies are becoming more confident as they visit and are less fearful?"

"There are two of them now, probably were all along as they all look alike."
This magpie above apparently likes feeding from the suet feeder Roger has provided for the bird visitors to his backyard.



Its really great to have views like this from your window!

Thanks for sharing Roger!

Camera Critters is a meme that features critters, any kind, any size. To see more of this meme please click on the CC logo which can be found on the right sidebar on this page or please click here.http://camera-critters.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! Those Magpies must have different natures than the ones here.They really are beautiful birds.
Ruth

RNSANE said...

They are pretty birds. My friend, who is a F & B manager for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line and from Australia, tells me that magpies used to dive and attack them as they walked to school! He doesn't seem to like them!

Cathy said...

Lovely pictures
They are a slightly different shape and colouring is in a differrent place but black and white jsut the same as the Australian Magpies - look just as cheeky as well
We saw some like this in Calgary when we were visiting last year - my camera didn't come out quickly enough to catch some good shots tho'
Cathy

Cathy said...

Reading RSNANE's comment above - they swoop in breeding season - posties on their little scooters have a raw time then lol
Yes there are some who don't like them but those people would be in the minority

Marie said...

How neat to have them so up close and personal -- I would love that. They are beautiful birds!

Visiting from Camera Critters

Becky said...

What beautiful birds Ann. A special thanks to your brother for sharing.I've never seen a Magpie.
B.

KaHolly said...

I've never seen a magpie, either! I wish we had them, though. They are beautiful.

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

We don't have magpies here in WV. I think they are strikingly beautiful. I saw some in the western United States this past August. The waiter in the restaurant thought it was funny I was so excited. To him, they were like crows, so common.
nellie

Linda said...

great photos, a lot of my winter bird photos are taken through the window

me ann my camera said...

Thank you all for your comments. They are all well appreciated.
Ann

Mary said...

Wonderful! Another bird I have never seen before. I'm glad you got some good shots.

Jeni said...

I'm really happy to have stumbled upon your blog... i love love love birds and sky pictures and just "moments caught in a photograph"...... I feel like an adventurer visiting like minded blogs :)....