Friday, February 13, 2009

Resting Deer

Deer seem to make lots of appearances here on 'Nature Tales and Camera Trails' so I thought I would contribute a few photos of my own. In the town where I live I see deer several times a week -- either hanging out in the woods near our neighbourhood, walking around in someone's yard, or unfortunately, running across the street in front of me while I'm driving.

These photos are of a deer I saw relaxing in the afternoon sun in an area where a new subdivision is gradually being developed. (It is called 'Deerhaven Subdivision' which I must say seems like an oxymoron to me.) These photos were taken last year when the roads were first being cut in and lots of forest still remained. The deer didn't seem to mind me taking its photo. It didn't move at all. I think I may have interrupted its nap actually and it was just waiting patiently for me to leave so it could go back to sleep.


"If you don't mind, I'm not going to bother getting up."
"You still here?"
"Okay, I'm tired of posing. I'm getting sleepy again."

Posted by: "Guest Blogger" Riel.

10 comments:

Becky said...

Cute shots Ann. I think this deer had a good vantage point to keep an eye on things, and maybe she thought you didn't see her.
b.

betty-NZ said...

Awesome pictures! Sometimes I miss taking snowy scenes, but mostly I enjoy pics of the beach here in NZ!

glad I stopped by!

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Ann, your captions are perfect. Great photos! He actually looks sleepy doesn't he?

Kyle said...

Great shots and a wonderful post, Riel! You're doing an excellent job of filling in for your mom.

How's Ann doing, by the way? Still in the hospital? Please pass along our hopes that she's better soon.

Sharon said...

At least he's not dashing across the road! Beautiful deer:)

bobbie said...

Very lovely, Riel.

Happy Valentine's Day to you. Please give our best wishes to Ann as well.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely shots,but to bad that man is invading the deer's territory.The same thing is happening around here.Greetings to Ann.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Riel: These are great! She does look a bit sleepy. I'm sure having the woods cut down and houses built won't make it much of a "deer haven"! Man is so invasive it is a wonder there is any wildlife out there! Keep up posted on how your mom is doing and send our best wishes.

me ann my camera said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I actually saw nine deer just the other morning -- a group of 6 and a group of 3. Ann is doing well and I know she really appreciates all the best wishes which I have been passing along.

Tina said...

Such a great shot..with just the right light on him. oh those eyes!! get me everytime.
glad to hear Ann is doing better!