Friday, November 28, 2008

A Day Away

I didn't start out that early but this is what 9:30 AM looked like yesterday morning, lots of fog! And the fog continued along for most of my hour and a half drive to keep an appointment at 11:30. After my morning visit I had to put in some time before returning for a follow up appointment at 3:30 so I went in search of some water areas, hoping to find some ducks or geese.
I found this beautiful place and in the distance is what I think is an old, no longer used, railroad bridge. I had stopped when seeing some ducks in the water, but before I could get any pictures they had left. I almost left too, but then I heard a loud, constant honking, and finally found its source in the green shadowy area to the left of the above picture. It was a lone Canada Goose, and it was difficult to see for the shimmering play of light upon the water gave it a bit of camouflage. If it hadn't been for its loud 'honking' I wouldn't have seen it at all.Having noted my presence it continued swimming and emerged from the shadows allowing me to see it more clearly.
Returning home again, I encountered darkening skies and more fog during the last half hour of my journey, arriving home in darkness.

8 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed your post.Guess it pays to take a second look when trying to spot birds.The goose looks quite regal with the reflections around it.
Blessings,Ruth

kjpweb said...

Very nice! (Cold though!)
Cheers, Klaus

Mary said...

Looks like a lovely place to take photos and I bet you will go back there in the future :-) I love the photo of the bridge in the distance and the one with the goose out there with the bridge beyond is really stunning.

Geraldine said...

Thank you for sharing your day trip with us. One downside to winter, starting and ending the day so early, in darkness.

I love the photo of the single goose. Gorgeous.

Hugs, G

gina said...

what a pretty area to stop and take some photos. i'm glad you weren't disappointed and found some geese. that is really a pretty sky in the bottom pic.

Anonymous said...

And they do honk. Even Benji's honk carried a very long way...

Kay said...

How wonderful that you saw the goose. I'm glad you arrived home safely.

Julie said...

oh yes! You have some great pictures! I especially like the one with the bridge way off in the distance.