Friday, March 07, 2008

Great Black-backed Gull


Living only an hour's drive from the coast, I often have the opportunity of seeing this largest of North Atlantic gulls, the Great Black-backed Gull, in a beautiful natural setting of rugged coastline and powerful Fundy tides. The grace- fullness and dignity of this large gull seems more aptly portrayed there, than of those gulls photographed in a farmer's field or a mall parking lot. With a wingspan of around 65" just imagine the size of these gulls! Other identifying features of this adult gull are its pink legs, white head, red orbital ring around its eyes, and a yellow bill with a red spot.
This last photo, above, from my photo archives, is of Great Black-backed Gulls looking for Gaspereau along the North Oromocto River.

6 comments:

Mary said...

What a beautiful gull! and big! I love the black back and wings...very dramatic! That last flight shot really shows the colors off great. Really stunning photos!

me ann my camera said...

Mary:
The strong black and white contrast seems to add a crispness to this gull's appearance. The tide was going out and the gulls were in the perfect setting for the taking of these pictures I thought. Glad that you enjoyed.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

What beautiful pictures! We see these birds now and then, and they are really impressive. All great shots, but I really like the last one where they are all taking off.

Anonymous said...

I love your Bay of Fundy pictures, plus the black and white gulls! They are striking!

me ann my camera said...

Sandpiper:
I like to photograph them in a natural setting and the stong currents over which they are flying suggests strength I think.

April:
These lines from Bliss Carmen's, 'The Ships of Saint John', could fit well here:
"The fog still hangs on the long tide-rips,
The gulls go wavering to and fro".
All but the last of these pictures were taken in Saint John as the tide was going out.

me ann my camera said...

Island:
We don't have Glacous-winged gulls here, but we do have Glacous gulls; tho I've never seen one, at least that I have id'ed as one. I think they winter in our area. I love watching gulls too and they are great to practice flight pics on. Glad that you enjoyed.