Saturday, December 22, 2007

Just A Few Common Redpolls

Common Redpolls have been slow coming to our feeder area this year. Then the other day I realized probably a very good reason for that was I hadn't been providing any Nyjer seed to attract them. So off to the the feed store to buy some and while there I saw a mesh sock feeder and decided to try one of those. After hanging it; a few days later a couple of Redpolls showed up and yesterday I had four feeding from it. I noticed though that when Blue Jays flew near that part of our feeder area the Redpolls flew off and perched in branches until the Blue Jay flurry was gone. We have a lot of bigger bird activity this winter with lots of Pine Grosbeaks, Evening Grosbeaks, Blue Jays, two or three Hairy Wood- peckers and the occasional Starling dropping by also. I try to rearrange my feeders so that the bigger birds are concentrated in one part and the little birds in another but that is quite difficult to achieve as I only have so much space and we attracts a lot of birds some days.

No comments: